batman actually has nothing to do with this post. Except for the fact that he and I have both saved the world, on separate occasions....
The weapon of mass destruction:
Every time that button rubs against my shirt, a hole appears. Standing at the counter, wearing my seatbelt, holding (other peoples) kids...all things that simply can't be avoided.
DRAT that blasted button!
So I took all that pent up negative energy from the sock episode, which is still festering, and I schemed up a plan to save the world from the holes. Or at least my clothes, I'm happy just saving my clothes.
I call it, the Holy Tee-Shirt Saver:
I've been wearing it for a week now, and I do believe justice has been served.
Here, I'll show you how...
- Measure the length from the OUTSIDE of your two belt loops, and add 2 inches.
- Cut 3 strips of fabric the length you just measured by 2 inches. Cut one strip out of your print (use just white cotton if you have lightweight see-through shirts), one strip out of muslin, and one strip out of a cotton jersey. The jersey is what really keeps the button from rubbing through, don't skip it. Ok fine, you can, but you're asking for it.
- Cut off a small square of sew-on velcro and cut it in half, to make small strips.
- Now layer your 3 fabric strips as shown below:
- Sew around the edge of your fabric strips, leaving a 2 inch opening on one side.
- Trim the corners.
- Turn your Shirt Saver inside out so the print is on the top and the muslin on the bottom. Press your seams with an iron so it's nice and flat. Don't sew that opening closed yet!
- Turn it over and lay the soft velcro strips on the very edge of the strap. Then lay the pokey strips 2 inches in from the edge. Tack them down with a little bit of fabric glue. Or pin them in place.
- Sew your strips down only on the sides, leaving the very edge un-sewn. You'll do that later.
- Once all the strips are sewn on, sew all the way around the edge of the Shirt Saver, making sure to catch the edge of your velcro.
- Attach it by just wrapping those velcro edges around your belt loops, and laugh an evil laugh because you just mastered all that evil button power.
- Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
Take the kids to school.
Save the world...check.
done for the day.