7.14.2008

no more naked dining room

I never really liked dining rooms. I thought they were a poor use of space, stuffy, and I'd rather have a music room or something. I'm all about the breakfast nook.

However...I finally gave up the piano room idea when I found this beautifully distressed REAL LIVE piece of solid furniture I plan to keep forever. I like to look at it.

Our table has stood alone for a while now, because real live chairs cost as much as childbirth. I'm lucky to have become the grateful recipient of Chairs With Character, and a bench, from generous donors. I now have a full fledged adult table with places to sit. I feel so grown up.

My favorite are the chairs I didn't have enough fabric to recover the entire pad of , so I improvised. I really like how they turned out. They add a little whimsy so it's not a "stuffy" space.

Then I covered some styrofoam balls with strips of fabric and modge podge for a fun fake centerpiece. Messy, but fun. Of course they end up everywhere but on the table. I found a couple in the fridge with the apples a while ago. Which is when I realized my frigee lock was MIA.
I'm looking for a bright old sideboard and an equally awesome farmhouse looking mirror. Then, I can officially appreciate the beauty of eating in a creative space. Far away from the dishwasher.

6 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I am so glad your dining room is not naked anymore... I think you could make a cardboard box look like home!
ToOdLeS,ShEiLA
ps. so when this depression hits... and 'I live' in a box...
I will call YOU.

Natalie said...

I love whimsy!

Mama Cher, Ok, fine, it's Sharon said...

Ooo, Chairs with Character. Love them!

Katy Beth said...

Too cute! Why couldn't I have gotten the creative gene? Gosh...
Btw, I've decided I need a Cally bag desperately. So, let me know when you're taking orders again. I'll definitely be in line!!

wendy said...

cute cute cute - - did you know mismatched chairs are the FAD, THING, whatever you wanna call it. love the seat coverings.

Cherstin said...

So you!!! I love it! i love the fabric balls. What an awesome idea! Let me guess...... It's your boys that are stealing them; am I right? I had a hunch.