6.26.2009

recycled magazine basket


My dad bought me a new phone (yippee). As a result, I needed a new basket to put by my new phone. I had seen one recently at Marshall's for $8 that I examined carefully; taking it apart in my brain to figure out how they did it. So I decided to save the $8 and the trip back to Marshall's and make my own. It totally worked and I love it.

I didn't take pictures along the way because, frankly, I wasn't sure it would work.

But you can follow this tutorial from HowAboutOrange.
Here and Here.

I used my sewing machine instead of glue or staples like she did. But I think it would be a lot easier her way. duh. I also painted mine with ModPodge since it's in the kitchen and I wanted it to be semi-water resistant.

Check out these other recycled magazine crafts:

very cool.

7 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Oh WOW!

I love your basket.

I am gonna go and check this out.

ToOdLeS.

Crystal Copeland said...

oooh, yeah! I am glad you posted this, I've always wanted to know how to make these!! Thanks! You are so creative!

Donna said...

what kind of phone did you get?!?!?

cally said...

uh...one that works, Donna.

Just an AT&T with intercom and cool stuff. Our phone had been broken for years. It would insert this nasty buzz noise into random conversations, or just cut off. I made a lot of people mad. My dad had enough, and bought us cheapskates a real phone.

Bless you, dad.

Robyn said...

I. am. absolutely. doing. this.

The basket. Couldn't you do a placemat with them? Place some kind of protective coating and give it a sturdy backing?

:)

cally said...

oh yes, Robyn. I'm on it.

Natalie said...

Cally, my dear...those are fabulous ideas. I'm gonna get my Summertime-bored kids on it immediately. Thanks chica!